Saturday, January 23, 2010

Vintage Reading




I've been wanting to read  The Dud Avocado for quite a while and of course it's part of  an ever expanding list of books I want to read and because it's quite a list and time is such a luxury I let fate as you will decide when the time to read it will be by playing the Paperback Swap lottery. 

If you don't know what Paperback Swap is then you should check it out, basically it's free books, you can either swap books you have and don't want for book credits or just create a wish list and pay for shipping costs.  Thing is most of the time there is a waiting list, but that's fine by me at least once a month something from my list (I have like 200 books on it) comes up and today it just so happened that The Dud Avocado came up.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!

The book was written in 1958, if you haven't heard of it here is a blurb for it:

"The Dud Avocado follows the romantic and comedic adventures of a young American who heads overseas to conquer Paris in the late 1950s. Edith Wharton and Henry James wrote about the American girl abroad, but it was Elaine Dundy’s Sally Jay Gorce who told us what she was really thinking. Charming, sexy, and hilarious, The Dud Avocado gained instant cult status when it was first published and it remains a timeless portrait of a woman hell-bent on living.



“I had to tell someone how much I enjoyed The Dud Avocado. It made me laugh, scream, and guffaw (which, incidentally, is a great name for a law firm).” –Groucho Marx


"[The Dud Avocado] is one of the best novels about growing up fast..." -The Guardian"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails