This was the scene at my store on Monday. We had to call the fire department in because of a white odorless smoke spewing out of the building. Actually it looked like it was coming out of the corner of my window displays.....you know it did go through my head as I installed all those pencils and books into the display (just two days earlier) how it would make great kindling.
So the FD came, closed off the entire block and street, creating a scene in general. Three fire trucks too, I do think they were overreacting just a bit;)
Everyone had to evacuate the building. Thankfully for once I was appropriately dressed for the situation, not in my usual men's briefs and a tank top sans bra, which is my "it's too hot for clothes but since there are children in the house I can't go naked" uniform, unfortunately the twins had been napping and were only wearing nappies so they had to go out into public with diaper butts. Better them than me, right?
The firemen poured into my building like a flood, set up ladders and proceeded with an axe to hack into the space above my my windows, pulled down part of the fake ceiling inside my displays, YES they were inside my display windows, son of bitch! To ultimately conclude that the white smoke was freon leaking from the AC because the AC is overheating.
Ultimately I'm fine with all the trouble, because better safe than sorry. The AC was on the verge of being a fire hazard, I'm glad we caught it before it caused a real fire. So the store is temporarily closed as we repair the damage and seek out a replacement AC unit, which is proving practically impossible in August as all the stores in the area have transitioned them out with electric fireplaces in preparation for fall.